Tuesday 14 February 2012

Bad Boy Bubby


This is a still from Bad Boy Bubby, my favourite film, which also happens to be Australian. Unless you're of a nervous disposition you might want to check it out. It's about a 35 year old man who lives alone with his mother, who calls him Bubby. She wears a gas mask when she leaves the house to give him the impression the outside world is a harmful environment. He has never left the house and hasn't been allowed to develop beyond the mental age of a small child, with a vocabulary to match. Then he escapes...

Australia has produced many great films, such as The Piano, Shine, Muriel's Wedding, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith, Celia and Sweetie. Then of course there's Crocodile Dundee and Babe. Kidding! What I particularly like about many of them is their naturalism and unselfconscious actors. Apparently there was a film made in 2006 called Jindabyne, filmed in the town of the same name in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains - and I'm going there.

I saw a skein of geese overhead yesterday and it seemed odd that they were flying north at this time of year. Maybe spring is around the corner. I hope it isn't as warm here this March and April as it was last year. I made a note in last year's diary of a ride in South Lanarkshire. It was March 24th and I clearly remember wearing only a T shirt and shorts most of the way. The trees were still completely bare so it seemed a little odd. I like the weather to be bad here when I'm holidaying in sunnier climes, so that I'm avoiding it. This may sound perversely uncharitable, but hey, that's the way I'm made.

It's all gone a bit quiet on the accommodation front and I'm still waiting to hear from several people. Today there was an email from the delightfully named Ardath Wunsch and 'Ivan lighted mesh with placid translation' was its subject title. Just in case it related to my trip I thought I'd take a look.

Hey:)
I am Ardath and I randomly choose different people in case to find interesting ones and meet further.
I suppose you are not afraid of such things;) So, I'll be first. I'm rather sociable and open to people.
I am sure that everyone has something peculiar about himself. So what's special about u?) What are you interested in???)
I'm sorry, I gotta go now but I rely on you...) I hope you will have some free time to write me an answer. Please do it)))
Talk to you later!

Shall I reply?

1 comment:

  1. The jellyfish are immediately offshore where swimming is forbidden. The diving is at the Barrier Reef several miles out.

    ReplyDelete