Change of plan. I’m now thinking that I will postpone my adventure until March next year. This is partly due to meeting an Australian couple while I was in Italy recently and also to do with reading the thoughts of the cycling community on various forums. It now looks like I will ride from Sydney to Cairns in March and April. This means it will be early autumn in southern Australia (not too hot) and late autumn when I finish (too hot for me -but as cool as can be - and before the rainy season starts). This also means I will be travelling in an anti-clockwise direction, which seems to be the least windy option.
Meanwhile I will be cycling in England and Scotland this summer.
I will get back to this at some point.
Oh yes, and I received the insurance money. This is another reason why I can take my time, as I know have more resources to live a life of riley.